The 3M Littmann Guide
Discover what makes Littmann stethoscopes different
Try before you buy. Take every opportunity to test out friends’ and colleagues‘ stethoscopes. Take note of features you love.
If you’re new to using a stethoscope, check out the Anatomy of a Stethoscope below.
Test it out: What can you hear? Try listening to your own heartbeat.
Seem louder? Yup, 4+ times louder. Tests conducted by 3M found sounds were over 4x louder than other stethoscope brands.
Listen and compare. After you’ve tested out a Littmann try other brands, get opinions, and read reviews.
TUBING: Hold the headset and let the tubing hand straight. You won’t find the kinks and bends you may see on other brands thanks to 3M flexibility. Sturdy yet lightweight construction that drapes around the neck.
EARTIPS: See how they are perfectly symmetrical. Smooth, soft eartips for ultimate comfort.
HEADSET: Easily adjust by squeezing for more tension or gently pulling apart for less tension.
- Protect your investment
- Make yourself more identifiable to patients & staff
- High-quality look that doesn’t wear off
- Ideal in any environment
With the exception of electronic models, all current Littmann stethoscopes have similar components to the Cardiology III shown.
- One-sided chestpiece with tunable diaphragm
- Or two-sided diaphragm and bell
- Open or closed bell depending on model
- Larger diaphragm for adult patients
- Smaller bell for pediatric or thin patients, carotid assesment and getting around bandages
- Replace diaphragm with non-chill bell sleeve/rim to convert closed bell to open
- Stem connects tubing to chestpiece
Check out this video to see how the tunable diaphragm works
- Next generation tubing has improved resistance to skin oils and alcohol
- Longer tubing life
- No natural rubber latex or phthalate plasticizers
- Protects human health and the environment
- Double lumen tubing has two sound paths inside one outer tube
- Headset with eartubes, tension springs and eartips
- Eartubes positioned at an anatomically correct angle
- Eartubes snap the eartips on tightly for safety
- Made from aerospace aluminum alloy for strength and lighter weight
- Headset tension can be adjusted for individual fit and comfort
- Pull eartubes apart to reduce tension
- Squeeze eartubes together to increase tension
- All Littmanns fitted with eartips that snap tight onto eartubes
- Eartips provide an excellent acoustic seal and comfortable fit
- Available in small and large sizes
- Many models come with an extra pair of soft sealing eartips and firm eartips
Back To Top